fragile heart colourful and quirky wool and felt accessories

handmade felt

Thursday 16 August 2012

driftwood and flowers

Well, it's stupid o'clock in the morning and I can't sleep !! It's the heat and things whirring round in my head. So it's as good a time as any to write a blog post I think !!

A couple of weeks ago my son got married, we all had such a lovely day, everything looked so beautiful; the bride (of course), the bridesmaids (my daughter was one of them), the table decorations, the cake, the food.....but it was the flowers that I particularly loved, so bright and cheerful and colourful


this was my daughter's beautiful bridesmaid posy


and I was thrilled to receive a beautiful bouquet of flowers, presented to me by my gorgeous grandson.



Just the weekend before the wedding, I was really lucky to find lots and lots of driftwood on the beach near to my home, this was unusual as this beach is not known for driftwood, I think it must have been a particularly stormy night. I made a couple of trips and filled many bags, not really knowing what I was going to do with it. I have had an idea for a while that I would like to combine my felt with driftwood so one day last week I spent the whole day 'faffing' with it all and came up with this......


I quite like this just as a hanging decoration....


.......and plan to make more smaller ones

Well, time to go and put the kettle on, there's going to be lots of coffee drunk today I think, I need to finish making a collection of necklaces for the Gift Gallery in York and get them in the post and then prepare for a market on Sunday. Hope everyone has a lovely weekend......

5 comments:

Jayne said...

What a lovely post Gill, the heat is getting to all of us, very humid. The wedding flowers are beautiful as are your driftwood sculptures. Hope the coffee pot is on! Just love the photo of your grandson x

Ali said...

The weather certainly is producing some interesting situations...all that driftwood and altered sleep patterns..I have been awake musing on felty things and granny squares in the early hours too!
What pretty colourful wedding flowers and your grandson looks so cool! Glad you had a great special day.
Your felt flowered driftwood looks fantabulous Gill, what an amazing idea. Being landlocked driftwood is not something we are used to but a bloggy friend on the scottish coast sent me some...I am waiting for just the right piece of felt to be made...the ideas are there....I'll get soggy sometime soon!
Hope you made the post with your order and the market goes well - keep cool!
Ali x

Therese said...

Ah Gill, how special for you to be attending your son's wedding day, that must have been a very emotional day for you, your photo's of the flowers and your smiling grandson are beautiful.

I love the drifwood and felt wall piece, just stunning. Therese x

Unknown said...

What beautiful wedding flowers. It looks like everyone had a good day judging by that huge smile on your Grandson's face! Love your use of driftwood and felt, very pretty.
Becky x

CAROLYN SAXBY said...

What a beautiful wedding. The flowers are indeed goregeous and very well photographed by you. Your felted flowers are amazing and what a serendipitous find the driftwood was. I don't find that much either and then loads of it seems to wash up at once. I only pick up small pieces now as I have quite a collection ;o)

Happy weekend and congrats on your new shop in the post below

Carolyn xx