fragile heart colourful and quirky wool and felt accessories

handmade felt

Tuesday 22 May 2012

love is in the air...

such a lovely day in my home town of Whitley Bay on the North East coast of England. You can see St Mary's Lighthouse in the background. I feel so lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the country and to spend my day sewing in my loft to the sound of the sea and the sea gulls. I have been adding the finishing touches to some love tokens I started making yesterday because a gallery I supply in Hexham has sold 
out and customers have been asking for them. Romance is alive and well in Hexham....how lovely!!!
Yesterday I wet felted the tokens and used scraps of silk and cotton scrim to decorate...
hearts being the obvious motif.
While I was doing this my friend Jayne was making beautiful necklaces using pieces of previously hand dyed linen and lace, she fondly describes as 'me scrats'.
Here are examples of the basic tokens
ready to be embellished.
And here are  are some of them
decorated with embroidery, needle felting, ribbon and buttons
and ready to be sent to 'Artful' to spread the lurv......

3 comments:

Jayne said...

Oh i do love to be beside the seaside beside the sea!! Fantastic post Gill and fantastic work as usual. Nice to know romance isn't dead in this tough economic climate. Long may it continue. jayne xxxxxxx

The Cloth Shed said...

lurvelee...must pop into Artful when I am next in Hexham.
Julie x

Ali said...

Love seeing how your tokens are created with the different stages of transformation! No wonder they sell out fast!
Fab description of your workspace...happy memories of school trips to Whitley Bay!
Ali x